My left eye has been swollen for a week, and I was mindful of my friend's horrific tale of someone in the field having a swollen eye as big as a tennis ball. So today, I started the day late and went to the hospital to get it checked out.
I'm endorsed to an opthalmologist, who gets a bunch of nurses to check out my eyesight before this oldish guy comes in. He asks some questions about my eyeglasses, my sight, checks out my eyes through this machine. I don't know what's it called. I tell him about it, and I also tell him that it's not painful but it's just swollen and fucking up my depth perception.
Then he kind of reaches out from across the machine and touches my eye and I actually bolt out of my chair, going, "Whoa, okay, what?"
"I'm just going to turn over your eyelid."
"Turn over my." I just stared at him. He has to be kidding, right? I asked him that.
He says no, and says that the procedure is done all the time. I backed away again. What procedure? He's already reaching out for his bag and telling me that he has to turn over my eyelid and cut up the swollen part which has a pus and forcibly drain it and--
"OKAY," I tell him, that's enough. Nobody told me anything about cutting up part of my eyelid.
He explains it's a normal procedure, stresses that he's done it so many times already. "We can try putting medicine," he says, "but based on the timeline of your complaints and how it looks like now, I think medicine won't work anymore."
Uh, whatever, asshole, you're not going to lay one finger on me, especially since you're apparently too gung-ho in this procedure that you conveniently forgot to tell your patient about it. "Can I just take the medicine?" I ask him.
I could sense his miffed disapproval, but he's still smiling. He says, "Sure, you can try it for a week. I'll give you a prescription. But you'll see, by next week, it'll still be there and we'll have to cut it up."
I wanted to tell him, Well and good, crazy ass, but I'll make sure I'll have another doctor doing the procedure. Your social skills? SUCKS. I hope you don't have a lot of patient.
I left, and I'm not coming back. I don't care if I my eyes both get torn off. I'm getting another doctor. WTF.
--
The not-funny-haha thing about this is, when I told some of my colleagues, most of them said, "You should trust him, he's a doctor."
And apparently he doesn't even know the thing about getting patients' consent.
"You've always had an issue with someone else taking control," one of them remarked.
No, actually, I have an issue with someone sticking a knife into my eye. Funny thing, that. *rolls eyes*
I'm endorsed to an opthalmologist, who gets a bunch of nurses to check out my eyesight before this oldish guy comes in. He asks some questions about my eyeglasses, my sight, checks out my eyes through this machine. I don't know what's it called. I tell him about it, and I also tell him that it's not painful but it's just swollen and fucking up my depth perception.
Then he kind of reaches out from across the machine and touches my eye and I actually bolt out of my chair, going, "Whoa, okay, what?"
"I'm just going to turn over your eyelid."
"Turn over my." I just stared at him. He has to be kidding, right? I asked him that.
He says no, and says that the procedure is done all the time. I backed away again. What procedure? He's already reaching out for his bag and telling me that he has to turn over my eyelid and cut up the swollen part which has a pus and forcibly drain it and--
"OKAY," I tell him, that's enough. Nobody told me anything about cutting up part of my eyelid.
He explains it's a normal procedure, stresses that he's done it so many times already. "We can try putting medicine," he says, "but based on the timeline of your complaints and how it looks like now, I think medicine won't work anymore."
Uh, whatever, asshole, you're not going to lay one finger on me, especially since you're apparently too gung-ho in this procedure that you conveniently forgot to tell your patient about it. "Can I just take the medicine?" I ask him.
I could sense his miffed disapproval, but he's still smiling. He says, "Sure, you can try it for a week. I'll give you a prescription. But you'll see, by next week, it'll still be there and we'll have to cut it up."
I wanted to tell him, Well and good, crazy ass, but I'll make sure I'll have another doctor doing the procedure. Your social skills? SUCKS. I hope you don't have a lot of patient.
I left, and I'm not coming back. I don't care if I my eyes both get torn off. I'm getting another doctor. WTF.
--
The not-funny-haha thing about this is, when I told some of my colleagues, most of them said, "You should trust him, he's a doctor."
And apparently he doesn't even know the thing about getting patients' consent.
"You've always had an issue with someone else taking control," one of them remarked.
No, actually, I have an issue with someone sticking a knife into my eye. Funny thing, that. *rolls eyes*
(no subject)
Date: 2009-08-18 07:25 pm (UTC)I hope your eye heals well!
(no subject)
Date: 2009-08-19 03:44 am (UTC)Thanks!
(no subject)
Date: 2009-08-18 09:09 pm (UTC)(no subject)
Date: 2009-08-19 03:47 am (UTC)(no subject)
Date: 2009-08-19 12:50 am (UTC)You did the right thing by leaving - a second opinion never hurt anyone.
(no subject)
Date: 2009-08-19 03:48 am (UTC)(no subject)
Date: 2009-08-19 04:15 am (UTC)